Camera: do the immersion

SecondLife and OpenSim viewers have a very strange way to place the camera behind the avatar, flying 2 meters above this one. But there is a solution :)

It's about viewer settings. Some years ago you had to enable the Developer menu and change Debug settings. Such a nightmare for casual users! Fortunately, there is now an easy way to change them, just like you have a quick switcher for graphic settings.

I talk for Firestorm, not using other viewers, I can't tell if they integrated this feature or not.

Check the topbar icons

On the top right part of your viewer you have some quick access icons. The one looking like a camera is the one interesting us. Hovering the mouse over it shows a menu with the available presets.

You also have a button Open Camera Controls, opening the window that let you change those settings. Starting with an existing preset, probably the Rear View one, play with controls to adjust your camera to something suiting you.

Don't be afraid of lowering it. If it look weird at first, because of the habit of having it so high after years of usage, I can confirm it's really envoyable to have it lower and closer to your avatar.

When you are happy with your camera position, click on the Position button, bringing you another window, the one where you can save or replace your preset.

Once you have saved it, your new preset becomes the active one, and is selectable in the topbar menu, like predefined ones.

What we can get

There is in the viewer a notion of presets for cameras. By default, Firestorm comes with 3 presets :

  • Rear view: the one you are used to
  • Side view: up above the avatar too, but on it's side (the head of the avatar is on the bottom right side of your view)
  • Front view: you are looking at your avatar!

Here how I view OpenSim now. It's not definitive, I might slide my camera on the side. Experience will tell. I can't see my feet walking, but have a great view on my wonderful swinging butt when walking :)


Also check out this complete tutorial about Camera Presets by Inara Pey.




Comments